Get Help With The Cost Of Food
You can get a free grocery gift card. Check it...
Adoos
LAIR OF THE PENMAN: TAKEN
'

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

TAKEN

Ever been in a church where there was almost like some kind of “reserved” sign on some of the pews? It is funny how some things such as having a favorite “pew” can end up an unwritten rule in some places.

I’m not attempting to complain though. For a faithful member of any given church to enjoy claiming one particular pew as theirs is not a big problem. I have noticed though that many times the first few pews in a church are always vacant. As if sitting to close to the front might carry some unseen risk.

Where am I going with this posting? Mainly mentioning how often when involved with something as regular as a weekly church service our minds seem to settle into focusing on little things to give us pleasure.

Is that a substitute for the miraculous? Does it get difficult at times to not have the mind wander out of boredom when attending a weekly ritual that gets too familiar?

Or am I the only one so lacking in pure spirituality that I have to admit there are occasions when I get bored in such situations? However I have a feeling that isn’t the case.

I’ve been in houses of worship where the solution to monotony is “dazzle.” They try to keep the congregation entertained in a variety of ways. And in some cases I think it at least succeeds in reducing the boredom since people seem to come in greater numbers to such events.

What I want to know though is whether that really is a cure? Or is there a failure in such situations to get to the heart of what truly causes the boredom?

Those are questions I can’t answer for others. I’ve just learned for myself that if I’m not honoring the Lord with my heart, then he knows the difference.

So I try to let his spirit guide me to the points of genuine worship where I am honestly listening. And you know what? By doing that I found his spirit touched me in all kinds of places other than while sitting in a pew.

Oh it also meant I didn’t have a “reserved” sign I could boast about on some pew. But I think what was more important to be open to what the Lord wanted than whether I was seen by somebody else.

There are times when it is good to open the mind and soul to let the Lord truly lead. When we do, his fire would be as extinguished by the distractions of life.

I’m not trying to suggest that going to church isn’t profitable. Merely that without being alive spiritually it is difficult for it to truly honor the lord. May God grant each of us the sight and wisdom to see where the places of worship are that he leads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home